Feb 26, 2008

Aburi, Classes, and Village Life

So with my last post I put up pictures from my trip. I hope you all liked them. You don't kn0ow how much trouble it was to get them online. It took me hours, which turned into days. Most of the time while searching for internet cafes on campus, they are just down. Either the power has turned off or they can't get the network running. The most reliable place on campus is the international student lab, but because its filled with obrunies(and were all addicted to the internet), the place is constantly filled and while I have a ton of time in Ghana to do nothing, I don't have time to wait for hours to sit infront of a computer with a slow internet connection. And while i love this lab, I wasn't able to upload anything from any of the computers I tried. I tried all the photo sharing tools I could think of(facebook, picasa, picasa we albums, emailing them through gmail, etc) and nothign could work. In the end my neighbor lent me her laptop and I uploaded my pics to that and then went to a cafe in my neighborhood that costs $1 an hour. That cafe(they call 'internet cafes' simply 'cafes' and for those of you who don't know they are rooms filled with internet ready computers that customers come in and use by the hour or half hour... but i digress) is a really nice place. Their computers are responsive enough and their connection is fast. Plus, while they had the typical Ghanain power outage(twice during the three or so hours I was there), the power came back quickly because they have back up generators just for the lab. And my obruni sister, Rihana, also told me I can use her laptop any time I want to upload pictures in the future. So, that should make the process a lot easier.

If you haven't check them yet, do so. Another post is soon to come.

No comments: