Feb 22, 2008

Host Family Continued

So, yes. I have a host family and I think that it is a really cool way to live while studying abroad. Those of us with hosts(6) get a leg up on learning about the culture/country because we are exposed to it on a much closer level.

In my host's home there are some 15 or so people. It is a compound of three houses and a lounge/bar/restaurant. None of the people who actually own the houses live there... all of them have moved to the UK or other cities in Ghana. For the time being the residents are just extended family members we have an aunt and uncle in one house with three boys. Only one of the boys is theirs. They also have a biological daughter, but she just left to go away to a technical university in Kumasi(second largest city/university in Ghana). In another house is a Grandma, aunt, two sons and a daughter. I'm not sure who's children they are, but the aunt there(auntie regina) has a heart of gold and takes care of everyone. At the same time she is one of those people who has a very hard time doing anything other then yell while communicating. I think its funny since have no idea what she's yelling about unless the person she's talking to will translate for me after the conversation is over. I think she's typically speaking in Twi(the language of the Ashanti tribe... the largest one in Ghana). What makes it so funny is that whoever she speaks with remains so calm while their being yelled at. I guess their just used to it. Oh and there used to be one other couple in our home. Anutie Bessy and her husbund. they aren't here any longer because they flew back to the UK this weekend. And I don't actually live in either of those houses. I live in the house that Aunti Bessy and husbund used to be in... but now its just all empty.

My Ghanaian brothers and sisters are as follow: Micky whose about to start college; his anonymous 'brother'(to be explained later) who may also be starting college soon; Fredrick who is 14; Bernard who is 13; Victoria who is 10 or 11; and Lexis who is 26; and Rihana who is studying abroad through my program aswell. The people I talk with most are Lexis and Fredrick. They are both cool people.

The restaurant also has a few people who work there. I really don't know who they are yet. I just recognize them by face. The only one i talk to in Israel.

my time is up and i've got to go.

peace and love

3 comments:

VickyBicky said...

which of the three houses does your Ghanian brothers and sisters live in? Have you met and talked with anyone else from the restaurant?

Tamu said...

I've met a few people two other people from the restaurant now, but i don't know their names.

And for my siblings... Lexus and Victoria live in the house to my right, and the 4 boys(Fredrick, Bernard, Micky, and Abeda) live in the house to the left with the other american student. I'm in my house alone. though that just means, i am always hanging out at one of the other two houses.

Irene Bianca said...

hmm... doesnt the yelling remind you of a certain household we grew up in? maybe we are ghanian..