Jan 2, 2008

I'm in Portland Now

I arrived in Portland on the 8th... now its the 10th. Time to start the chronicling.

This trip starting weeks ago(December 21st) when I stepped away from the desk at my last co-op position. Fittingly enough, I worked at Northeastern University's Office of International Study Programs. It is the office at NU that organizes most of the non-domestic, international learning experiences for NU students. Those include semester programs in some 30 countries and summer programs lead by NU faculty. Those summer short terms are the equivalent of taking a regular class of students and facilitating it on board a roaring 747, as it takes the professor and their students to the far reaching corners of the globe. An interesting example of this is a summer trip this July that will bring them to Beijing during the Olympics to study Chinese culture and history. I did all the typical desk work of an intern, but I thought it was a great opportunity, learned a lot about higher education and enjoyed the experience. But enough about co-op. My current adventures started on the 21st, because that was the day that I left the workplace.


For the following two weeks I spent all hours of the day with my lovely girlfriend Vicky. We wouldn't be able to spend much time together for the next few months, so we decided to build up a store of as much love as we could squeeze into those scarce hours each day presented us with. We are both resident assistants with the department of ResLife here at NU and we spent our winter break working a few shifts holding the duty pager( an annoying little device that tends to buzz, beep and scream only at night or during other inopportune times when you'd rather be doing anything other than leaving the comfort of your room). Anywho, I was on duty for nearly a week straight and Vicky took a few shifts here and there. Ironically she was the one who's pager screamed at her more often. I was only paged twice and only one of those pagers required any action from me. She, on the other hand was paged constantly. We spent the week squeezing and loving, going on walks, hanging out in the LP(which is great... I so want to be an LP RA, just so I can continue to hang out there).

I have to restart my browser, so i'll be right back. peace - love - happiness

No comments: